Stuart Litjens Speaks up for Business Owners Struggling with Lake Mead's Closure

Oct. 8 2013 Archives By Honey T

Business Owners Struggle with Lake Mead's Closure

Posted: Oct 08, 2013 / 03:16 PM PDT  

BOULDER CITY, Nev. -- Since the Lake Mead National Recreation Area was closed to the public last week, businesses dependant on lake visitors have been struggling.

Store owners in the small town of Boulder City say they are losing thousands of dollars every day. A small scuba shop and a boat store are unable to sell much of anything because they can't use the very thing their business depends on -- the lake's water.

"We see no boats and it's just an eerie feeling. It's just strange," Boulder Boats owner Stuart Litjens said.

No one will be allowed on the water until the government shutdown is lifted.

"Our traffic count is way down, boaters aren't going to the lake right now, they're not driving past either one of our stores, and that has a big impact on us," Litjens said.

National park workers at Lake Mead say there's $4.5 million at stake; it's the money visitors spend in the valley, much of it at local businesses. Since the shutdown started, park rangers have turned away 120,000 people from Lake Mead.

"We've had to cancel them here, here, here and here," Scubafy owner Charlie Franks said as he reviewed his recent cancellations.

He has canceled dives and lessons until further notice. He's frustration is obvious.

"The largest man made lake is 10 minutes from us, and we can't access it," he said.

Franks says most Las Vegas Strip tourists no longer have a reason to come to Boulder City.

"All of the businesses here have been hit because a lot of tourists that were coming here to go to the lake from Vegas are not going anymore," Franks said.

Litjens has a sign at his business asking Congress to do its job so he can do his job.

If the shutdown continues into the weekend, several events at Lake Mead will have to be canceled. The events include fishing tournaments, a bike run and a beach cleanup.